Monday, November 21, 2005

Thanksgiving and Hopeful Wishes for Family


Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays because the focus is on the gathering of families and sharing long honored traditions. The turkey and other culinary delights are very special, but the real meat is in seeing, touching and speaking with family members and close friends.

Just like we make a list of resolutions on New Year’s, I like to make a list of things I am thankful for this time of year. Here is my list:

Ø I am thankful to God for all the blessings I have been given, for the light of day, the peace of night and the assurance of His love.

Ø I am thankful for my family, each and every one, with their unique special gifts and the home that they have in my heart. I am thankful for every blessing that they have received in their lives and hopeful for their future.

Ø I am thankful to have lived to see my grandchildren and be a part of their life.

Ø I am especially thankful for my husband, who has been steadfast and supportive through many difficult times and who shows his love in all that he does for me and my family.

Ø I am thankful for the financial blessings I have received and for the home and lifestyle that they provide for me and my husband at this time in our life.

Ø I am thankful to finally be at peace with my life and for the opportunity to help others find peace in theirs.

Ø I am thankful for community, for friendship, for fellowship and for a church home that provides strong support in Christ for my faith, my joys and my sorrows.

Ø I am thankful to be an American, to enjoy safety and well-being as much as it is possible anywhere on earth, and to have the explicit privilege of freedom which is so rare on this earth.

No family is perfect and all are in transition. Loving each other has never been an issue, but there have been some serious issues to overcome in mine and we are working diligently to be better and do better every single day. To this end, I also have a wish list that is highly personal and more specific to me, my husband and my 4 children. I've omitted names for the sake of privacy, but I want to share one family's concerns with you. Here are my top 7 for this year.

1. That both of my youngest daughters find freedom, peace and happiness in their lives; that their sorrow and regret become joy and happiness, and that their future is so bright that it overwhelms the problems of the past.


2. That my 3rd child is reunited with her children and released from her addictions and health issues. Also that her relationships sustain her in love and satisfy her yearning for family and home. That my three grandchildren by her continue to have faith, joy and sucess in their lives and that they enjoy wellness and prosperity in the coming year.


3. That my youngest child finds freedom from addictive behaviors and realizes the love her family has for her and that she is released from the past to pursue her future. Also that she finds special love in her life and a sense of true belonging.


4. That my oldest daughter becomes pregnant and is able to have the child she and her husband are hoping for in their lives now. That they continue to receive the blessings they so richly deserve, and that she finds work that is more satisfying and promising for her.


5. That my son remains happy and well in his family life and that he continues to grow in his faith and in the stewardship of his life and his home.


6. That my husband is blessed with increased wellness and suffers less with pain and disability and that he will find true happiness in our marriage.


7. That I am able to continue to provide support, love, kindness and encouragement to both my family and my friends. That I develop more patience, listen more carefully and forgive more easily with each year that passes.

That’s all for today. Whatever trials your family may have, try to have the best Thanksgiving possible. Let it be a day of forgiveness and renewal. Remember to thank God for your blessings and ask him for grace for your family. Make your own list of blessings and wishes, whether you choose to share them or not. It’s a great exercise in faith and love.

As an added bonus...I hope your team wins too!

No comments:

Beaitiful Floral Color in Tennessee

Beaitiful Floral Color in Tennessee