Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Real ID Act - Personal Commentary

I'm not big on forwarding email because the first thing I do when I get in my inbox is to delete all the stuff I know for sure I'm not going to read. However, on occasion something comes through that is either fun or thought provoking and I am inclined to pass it on. The following link came out of the blue from an old work buddy in New England, who got it who knows where. This one I chose to forward to my long list. The originator is the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

If you ever think about your privacy, as I do, then this will make you shake your head. It’s worth a listen and some thoughtful consideration about what the future of information technology could bring our way. Although there is some obvious humor here, I found it difficult to laugh too hard or too long. I am not soliciting any point of view, but think you should make up your own mind about whether to support the ACLU letter.
http://www.aclu.org/pizza/images/screen.swf


Here is an article with a broader view: http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?FORM=MSN8A&q=The+Real+ID+Act

This concerns legislation that has already been passed by Congress. The REAL ID Act was imbedded in an unrelated emergency appropriations bill targeted at military funding and was not passed on it's own merits. They didn't ask my opinion before the parade left the grounds. How the heck did this happen? Yikes! It's really scary that something so important can be attached to an unrelated agenda and then administrated to free citizens as Law.

How much do corporations, credit institutions, health organizations and the govenment really need to know about you?

  • Is a single ID really a good idea?
  • What makes this different from the Social Security Number that we are already required to have?
  • Will this really keep terrorists or any other unsavory individuals from accessing our shores?
  • Will this hurt us? If not, will it help us? How?
  • What is the real cost of implementing and supporting this system?
  • Who will reap profits from this system?
  • How much authority does this usurp from state governments?
  • Do you want your DNA stored in a government information bank? (not much choice now)
  • How long will it be before they just imbed a chip in your head when you are born so that "they" can correct all your mistakes before you make them?
  • Is there ANY limit to how the government can use this information, or future information they choose to require?
  • Your tax records will certainly be linked to this ID, will your library card?
  • How about your web identity(ies)?
  • I wonder how hard it would be to implode dysfunctional individuals with a microchip?
  • Does it matter? I think it does.

Clearly, I am skeptical. I find it way too controlling and I think it smacks of past cataclysmic government failures like McCarthyism and the J Edgar Hoover days. There are just too many holes for abuse of power and identity theft by those who administer the program.

Does anyone remember "THX1138", or am I just a relic? (rhetorical question) Maybe it was just fiction, but I don't want to end up in government issued pajamas running through a maze looking for myself while legally, but heavily medicated. Oh wait...that sounds a lot like waiting for government cheese, disability or medical entitlements like help with prescription drugs or flu vaccine.

Lord help us all. Only God remains the same, steady source of love and light. I think if He wanted His creatures inventoried, we would have had a better system to do it.

Opinions on the subject are both encouraged and welcomed!

No comments:

Beaitiful Floral Color in Tennessee

Beaitiful Floral Color in Tennessee