Wednesday, April 13, 2005

THE VALUE OF HUGS

Today when I opened up my daily devotional email, I found the following quote. We would all do well to be reminded of the simple truth here. The first thing in life that gives us comfort and makes us feel accepted and loved is touch, it is also what sustains us in our relationships throughout life and is the one thing we need the most from others as we pass away. Give plenty of hugs every chance you get and accept the hugs that others give to you for the genuine care and concern that they are meant to convey. There's plenty of love to go around, we just need to fan it a little to keep it moving.

"Remember to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent. Remember to say, "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you. Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment, for someday that person will not be there again.
Give time to love, give time to speak, and give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind. And always remember: Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." “What Takes Our Breath Away,” was written by Dr. Moorehead, former pastor of Overlake Christian Church in Redmond, Washington, and published in his book “Words Aptly Spoken.”

There is also a poinant letter below written by Erma Bombeck when she found out that she had cancer and was dying. She talks about how different she would do things if she had only known before.

In memory of Erma Bombeck, who lost her fight with cancer.

If I Had My Life to Live Over by Irma Bombeck

I would have talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.
I would have eaten the popcorn in the "good" living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather rambling about his youth.
I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
I would have burned the pink candle sculped like a rose before it melted in storage.
I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.
I would have cried and laughed less while watching television, and more while watching life.
I would have gone to bed when I was sick, instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.
I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment, realising that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.
When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."
There would have been more "I love you's" and more "I'm sorry's"
. . . but mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute . . . look at it and really see it . . . and never give it back.

There are many examples of regret at the moment we realize that our journey is coming to an end on earth. Parents reaching out to their children to right wrongs, both parents and children trying to make up in moments what couldn't be achieved in years. To achieve a fullfilling and peace filled life, we need desparately to think "in the moment" about the little things that can be done every day to nurture our relationships, whether it's family, friends or spouses. Write the note that you've been intending to send to that old friend, hug your husband or wife every chance you get, talk to your children every moment that they will tolerate you, go for that walk you plan every day but somehow never find the time for, breathe, allow yourself forgivness for those things you are unable to do and do all of the things you are able to keep your life full NOW. I offer two more quotes...that hit the nail on the head squarely.

Defer not till tomorrow to be wise, tomorrow's sun to thee may never rise.
William Congreve (1670 - 1729)


One of the most appalling comments on our present way of life is that half of all the beds in our hospitals are reserved for patients with nervous and mental troubles, patients who have collapsed under the crushing burden of accumulated yesterdays and fearful tomorrows. Yet a vast majority of those people would be walking the streets today, leading happy, useful lives, if they had only heeded the words of Jesus: "Have no anxiety about the morrow"; or the words of Sir William Osler; "Live in day-tight compartments".
Dale Carnegie


To sum up my thoughts on this subject, today is the most important day in your life. Use it for something you like, let yourself love and remember that yesterday is only short term history and tomorrow should be planned for, but not expected with certainty. Reach out today for whatever you need and give whatever you have to give.You will never regret the currency that flows freely from your heart.

God bless.
Paula

Posted by Hello

No comments:

Beaitiful Floral Color in Tennessee

Beaitiful Floral Color in Tennessee