Tuesday, July 12, 2005

An Important Message about Family and Personal Safety (CLICK Title to link to www.LiveSecure.org)

Part of my morning routine is to take my first glass of OJ, water, whatever and sit down at my computer to drift through the news. I usually start with MSNBC.com because it's my startup page and conveniently delivers the headlines to my morning case of brainfog. I don't know how everyone else chooses what they will read, but for me, it's a process of elimination first and then categorzing the top 3-5 subjects that catch my interest (then on to the crossword). In truth, I probably will only thoroughly read 3 of these and scan 2 or 3 more before I move on to my own concerns of the day. The rest, I'll get on Cable at noon or even better, on National Public Radio (NPR). I look for good news, as a matter of practicing the art of futility, and seldom find it. However, this morning I did find something USEFUL. It occurred to me that it would be even more useful if I passed it on.

I was reading the latest Dan Abrams article about the Natalie Holloway case (HS Grad missing in Aruba) and when I got to the end, there was a link to a website called www.LiveSecure.org , established by Zandt Associates. There was a short bio about Dr. Clint Van Zandt, who it turns out, is a former FBI Chief Hostage Negotiator and the leader of the analytical team that identified the unibomber. Nice credentials. There are more if you care to look them up.

Dr. Zandt now works as an MSNBC Analyst. His company, Zandt Associates, developed the www.LiveSecure.org website "to develop, evaluate, and disseminate information to help prepare and inform individuals concerning personal and family security issues." It's worth a thorough read and worth storing as a favorite reference item on your computer.

All of us, as Americans and World Citizens are concerned about our safety and security these days. There are myriad opinions about whether we are "safe", who is responsible for our safety and to what degree they are responsible. In the end, if we don't take personal responsibility by modifying our behavior and taking reasonable precaution, we can blame no one for the end result. If we are in harm's way by association or even just by being in the wrong place at precisely the wrong time; we have to be realistic about what's possible and informed about how to think and act on our own behalf. It is also our responsibility to be vigilant for the safety and welfare of others who are less prepared or able to protect and defend themselves.

I do not believe in living your life in fear of the possibility of tragic events. Go for your walk, travel to places you believe to be reasonably safe, live out your life's dreams and purposes and go where your job takes you. While you are doing this, pack common sense in your bag and make it a part of your daily routine. A safety net never hurt anyone.

I'm also adding www.LiveSecure.org to http://www.rockingrama.blogspot.com in the left hand sidebar as one of my permanent links. It would make me really happy to know that you recommended it to your friends and family as well.

Live well and be well.

Paula

No comments:

Beaitiful Floral Color in Tennessee

Beaitiful Floral Color in Tennessee